German Vanilla Cones are classic and traditional Christmas cookies. They are very easy to make and you don’t need special ingredients, just Vanilla Sugar. This is my favorite of all German Christmas cookies, and the best were from my aunt. They were soft and sweet; the smell of vanilla was in the air… Making them every year! Happy Baking.
Ingredients (20-30 pieces) German Vanilla Cones
180 g flour
0.3 oz – 1 package vanilla sugar (Dr. Oetker) – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
200 unsalted butter
50 g sugar
200 g ground almonds
Baking Instructions German Vanilla Cones
– On a baking board mix all ingredients and knead them until you have a firm dough.
– Wrap the dough in aluminum foil and keep it in the fridge for 30 min – 1 hour.
– Remove from fridge, then divide the dough in multiple rolls of 1 inch diameter.
– Cut off little pieces of each roll, and roll them by hand into a U-shaped form.
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
– Place the cones on a baking tray (laid out with parchment paper) and bake for about 10-15 minutes.
– Remove from the tray and while they are still warm, roll them in a mix of vanilla sugar and powdered sugar.
Don’t make them too big. Less dough, the better they will be.