There is nothing better than a German Streusel Cake with Vanilla Pudding combined with a cup of coffee or tea. This is an authentic and proven German cake recipe. Streusel means “crumbles” and in English that would be a “Crumble Cake”. The German Streusel cake is very easy to make and if you don’t want to use the packaged pudding, you can make the pudding from scratch. The Dr Oetker pudding that is available in the USA is flavored artificially (unfortunately), so you might want to get the original version made in Germany. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Streusel Cake
250 g flour
120 g butter, very soft
1 dash salt
1 package vanilla sugar – 0.3oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
75 g sugar
300 g flour
200 g butter, cold
100 g sugar
Bake a German Cake whenever you like – All important ingredients are in the box!
Baking Instructions German Streusel Cake
1. Make the Dough
– Mix all dough ingredients in a bowl, knead them manually until you get a smooth dough.
– Make a ball, wrap in foil so its completely covered. Place in fridge for 30 min.
2. Make the Filling
– If you use the package pudding make it only with half of the milk (500ml).
– Let pudding cool off.
– Add the egg and mix.
3. Make the Cake
– Knead dough again briefly.
– Grease a spring form with butter, sprinkle with bread crumbs (natural).
– Press into spring form (10 inches), add dough also around the edges.
– Place pudding on top, spread even.
4. Make the Streusel
– Mix all Streusel ingredients (best with hands).
– Sprinkle Streusel over the pudding.
5. Bake the cake in pre-heated oven on medium rack for 30-40 min on 350 F (convection 320F).
Streusel should get a light brown color (exact baking time depends on the oven).
Let cake cool off completely before you remove from the form and before cutting.
Add some cinnamon to the Streusel dough.
Add some unsweetened corn flakes to the Streusel dough.
Use chocolate, almond (Mandel) or strawberry pudding instead of vanilla.
Recipe Source: chefkoch.de