The German Strawberry Jam Recipe is a classic among all jams and who does not like strawberry jam? This is my personal recipe and what can I say? The homemade jam tastes great. You can mix it with yogurt, pudding or use if on fresh bread on butter. You cannot compare it with the one you buy in the stores. It is worth it to take the time and make it.
The pomona fruit pectin is a good alternative to the chemical pectin that you find in the supermarkets. I found it at Wholefoods and Sprouts. In Germany you can buy sugar that is already enriched with fruit pectin. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Strawberry Jam Recipe
(makes 4-6 jars depending on the size)
4 cups mashed strawberries (about 3lb)
2 cups sugar
1 pk pectin (see photo below)
some vanilla extract
Wash strawberries, remove green part and cut them into small pieces. You can mash them with a puree mixer or cut them into very small pieces, depending how fine you want the jam.
– mix 2 cups of sugar with 2 tsp pectin or as directed.
– place mashed strawberries in a big pot, bring to a boil.
– add sugar and let boil for 1-2 minutes while stirring continuously.
– take off heat and add 1-2 tsp vanilla extract.
– fill jam in prepared jars with lid.
To prepare the jars either
– use your dish washer and the sanitize program, or
– rinse them with boiling water and have them upside down on a clean kitchen cloth, or
– place jars and lids in the oven on a baking tray, heat them up to 225 F, then turn off. Take them out.
After the jam is in the jars, turn them upside down for 1 minute, to seal it.