The German Spritzgebaeck cookies are traditional Christmas cookies in Germany. You don’t need special ingredients so this recipe is ideal for the last minute Christmas baking. Happy Baking!
150 g dark chocolate – in Germany we use Kuvertüre –
10 g shortening or expeller pressed coconut oil (taste neutral)
sugar pearls, sprinkles for decoration
– Beat powdered sugar and butter until creamy; add eggs, milk, vanilla sugar and salt and mix well.
– Sieve flour and add to dough.
– You can make 2 different cookies:
Half of the dough is for rings, the other half are shaped like a Christmas tree.
– Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
– Place half of the dough in a pastry bag with a big star nozzle.
– Layer a baking tray with parchment paper and squeeze about 40 rings directly onto the paper.
– Bake them in pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes on 200 C or 375 F.
Variation with Chocolate
– Chop chocolate, add shortening/coconut oil and melt in double boiler.
– Dip rings into chocolate 1/3 of the size. Let them dry on baking paper.
Variation with Trees
– To make the trees fill dough in a pastry bag with a big star nozzle and make about 25 trees directly on baking paper.
– Sprinkle them with the sugar pearls.
– Bake them for 10-12 minutes on 200 C or 375 F.