The German Spinach Omelette is a great German egg recipe that you will love. Did you know that the German lunch consists always of a warm meal? In my childhood dinners were always served cold. If the dinner would consist of some warm dish then it would be some small and light food, such as an omelette, fried egg or “Griessbrei (semolina pudding)”.
A good German egg recipe is the spinach omelet that is easy to make and it’s a healthy alternative for a lunch. Why? A good lunch takes care of 30 percent of the overall calories which the body needs a day. Such a lunch replaces a warm dinner.
You can also add it to a brunch buffet or have it as a light dinner. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Spinach Omelette
• 4 eggs
• 4 table spoon milk or cream
• 1 red pepper and 1 green pepper or mushrooms
• 100 gr frozen or fresh spinach (or mixed vegetable) or fresh spinach
• salt to taste, dash of nutmeg
Cooking Instructions German Spinach Omelette
– Mix the eggs with milk or cream, salt and fresh nutmeg
– Cut the red and green pepper into little pieces
– Defrost the spinach in a strainer (don’t use the micro wave)
– Braise pepper with butter lightly in a pan
– Add the eggs, stir it one time then add the spinach on the top
– Let it cook on low heat reduce until the eggs are semi-solid (use a lid but don’t have it completely closed)
Serve it like a pizza with boiled potatoes, or with fresh bread or toast.
You also can add boiled rice or millet to the omelet.
Tips for Making German Egg Recipes
• Use fresh or frozen vegetable instead of canned vegetable
• Use whenever fresh herbs; you can have some of the important herbs in little pots in the kitchen (like parsley, thyme or basil) or have an extra herb collection in your garden, or on the balcony.
• Don’t use the micro-wave oven for this recipe.