The recipe for the German Spinach dumplings is actually an Italian recipe, and is a food specialty in the region of Southern Tirol. The dish has made its way into the German cuisine as well, and has become very popular. We found this recipe on the menu of the German Restaurant Jagstmuehle in Germany and are happy to share it. They bake them in the oven with cheese as the last step which sounds delicious. But you can also serve them in a white Bechamel sauce. These dumplings are so easy to make. Try it out. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Spinach Dumplings
500 g white bread cut in cubes, without crust (bread from the day before)
150 ml milk
100 g onions, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped (optional)
2 tbsp butter
150 g spinach, blanched, squeezed
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp flour
250 g Fontina Aosta cheese – find more info on Fontina cheese – you need 8 cheese cubes and 8 slices of cheese
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
Cooking Instructions German Spinach Dumplings
– Soak bread cubes in mildly warm milk.
– Saute onions and garlic in butter, then add to bread cubes and mix well.
– Puree spinach with egg and egg yolk very fine, then add flour, grated cheese and mix with the bread.
– Spice with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
– With moist hands form dumplings size of a golf ball and place one cube of cheese in the middle.
– Bring water with some salt to a boil, then add dumplings and let them cook on low heat for 8-10 min. They are done when they float on the surface.
– Remove dumplings, place in a fire proof form, add the slices of cheese on top, bake until cheese has melted.