German Spaetzle are not only popular in the South of Germany, in Swabia, you might have heard about them too. They are popular all around the world! But do you know how to make them? Spaetzle are served lot with meat dishes cooked in gravy such as Rinderbraten or Gulasch, Rouladen or pork roast - Schweinebraten. But you can also make them as cheese spaetzle. German Spaetzle are is not really a pasta, it is more a tiny dumpling.
Do you know what Spaetzle means? It literally means "little sparrows". German Spaetzle are originally from Baden-Württemberg, the region around Stuttgart, Karlsruhe and Freiburg. Some call Spaetzle little dumplings, but it is more precise to refer to them as noodles. German Spaetzle served with a green salad is considered to be a whole meal especially when the Spaetzle are served as "Cheese Spaetzle" with fried onions.
Popular is to serve them together with a lentil soup - it's very delicious. A Spaetzle maker helps to make them at home. Just make the dough and pour it through the movable upper part of the board. Happy Cooking!
Find Spaetzle Maker on Amazon
Ingredients German Spaetzle
2 cups flour (wheat, all purpose) - or 250 g flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup water or mineral water - 1/4 l water
Cooking Instructions German Spaetzle
- Mix the flour with half of the salt and the nutmeg.
- Add eggs, mix them in with a fork.
- Pour in water while stirring constantly with a large spoon until dough is smooth.
- Bring water to a boil in a big pot, add remaining salt.
- Set the Spaetzle maker over the boiling water and by going back and forward with the machine, press the dough through the wholes, a few tablespoons at a time, directly into the boiling water.
- Stir the Spaetzle gently to prevent them from sticking together.
- Boil them briskly for 5-8 minutes or when they are floating on the surface, remove them with a slotted spoon.
- Keep them in a bowl until all are done. Never do them all at one time.
That's all, it is not that complicated. But you can buy them also online, see below