Savoy cabbage is a winter vegetable and one of several cabbage varieties. It is thought to originate from England and the Netherlands. How to cook savoy cabbage? If your supermarket has this nice cabbage variety, here is a great recipe to use it: German Savoy Cabbage Chicken Ham Rolls. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Savoy Cabbage Chicken Ham Rolls
1 savoy cabbage
salt, white pepper to taste
4 fresh chicken breasts
1 branch fresh rosemary
8 slices very thin prosciutto or German smoked ham
4 tbsp oil
1 small onion
150 fresh cream cheese with herbs Provence (thyme, oregano)
cooking yarn to secure the rolls
some black olives
Cooking Instructions German Savoy Cabbage Chicken Ham Rolls
- Remove 12 leaves from the savoy cabbage, wash and blanch them 1-2 min in boiling hot water with some salt.
- Wash remaining savoy cabbage, cut in thin stripes.
- Chop rosemary fine (use only the small leaves).
- Wash chicken breast and pat dry. Spice with salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Wrap each chicken breast with 2 slices of ham.
- Use 3 savoy leaves for 1 roll, place them together and wrap the chicken in it.
- With kitchen yarn secure the rolls so they won't fall apart.
- Brown cabbage rolls in hot oil. Spice with salt and pepper. Place rolls in a fire proof form.
- Add 0.5 liter water.
- Bake in pre-heated oven on 390 F for 30 min.
- Peel onion, chop fine. Together with cabbage stripes fry onions in hot oil.
- Spice with salt and pepper.
- Add cream cheese with herbs, bring to a boil, spice to taste if needed.
- Decorate with a few black olives and serve with fried, boiled or mashed potatoes.