German Sauerkraut Soup - A very tasty and easy to make soup! It is the right soup for these cold evenings in fall or winter. Sauerkraut contains a lot of Vitamin C, and is a typical German winter season vegetable. When combined with Kassler, a German specialty, smoked pork chop, it makes an awesome main dish especially when served with freshly baked bread.
Ingredients German Sauerkraut Soup
1 medium sized onion
1-2 tbsp clarified butter or oil
1 egg yolk
1 can German Sauerkraut, ready cooked, 480g
1/2 liter broth or instant from cubes - Make Vegetable Soup at home -
200 Kassler (no bones), German smoked pork chops or alternatively use sausages
200 ml heavy cream
salt, fresh grated black pepper to taste
caraway seeds (optional)
1 bay leave
5 branches parsley
Cooking Instructions German Sauerkraut Soup
- Peel onion and chop it fine; saute in clarified butter until transparent.
- Drain Sauerkraut, chop coarsely, add to onions with bay leave.
- Add broth.
- Let simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Cut Kassler in fine stripes, slice sausages, add them to soup. let it in the soup for 5-8 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolk and mix it with the cream.
- While stirring mix it into the soup. Don't let the soup boil again other wise the egg yolk will became flaky.
- Spice it with salt and pepper, add caraway seeds and the chopped parsley. Decorate with some parsley.