There is no Oktoberfest without a German Roasted Chicken or in Bavarian "Brathendl". It is a typical meal on the Wies'n but tastes delicious at any occasion.
The skin needs to be crunchy and the meat juicy. Enjoy it with a glass of beer, French fries and mixed salad. Here is an original Bavarian recipe for you so you can enjoy an Oktoberfest Brathendl as if you were in Munich on the Wies'n. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Roasted Chicken
1 whole chicken (1,2kg)
salt, pepper, paprika to taste
10-15 parsley sprigs
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
200 ml heavy cream
Cooking Instructions German Roasted Chicken
- Wash the chicken thoroughly and pat it dry with kitchen paper. Remove any parts inside.
- Spice it with salt, pepper and paprika, inside and outside.
- Wash parsley and place it in the belly of the chicken.
- Pre-heat oven to 220 C or 425 F.
- Melt the butter and with a cooking brush spread it all over the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the grid or the fire proof pan with the breast down.
- When the back of the chicken has become some brownish color turn it around and again spread butter on it several times. It should not dry out. You also can use the juice that has been generated in the pan.
- After about 50 minutes it should be done.
- Pour the juice through a sieve into a pot, add flour, heavy cream, mix well and bring it to a brief boil. Take off heat, spice with salt and pepper.
- Remove parsley from the inside, cut the chicken into its parts.
Serve it with pasta, fried potatoes, French fries, mixed salad and seasonal vegetable. For an Oktoberfest serve with cabbage salad and French Fries.