This might sound like an unusual recipe for red cabbage but the combination od red cabbage and pears is really good! Make this German red cabbage with pears as a delicious side dish for goulash, beef roast or any beef or pork dish with gravy. It is a perfect combination with dumplings, Spaetzle or mashed potatoes. We recommend to use organic cabbage for this recipe. It just tastes better and is more healthy. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Red Cabbage with Pears
1 red cabbage of about 1.5 kg
1-2 onions medium size
2 tbsp sugar
50 g clarified butter or lard
5 juniper berries
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 bay leave
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
350 ml pear juice
salt, pepper to taste
Cooking Instructions German Red Cabbage with Pears
– Remove outer cabbage leaves, cut red cabbage in quarters and remove hard parts.
– Cut the cabbage in very fine stripes or grate it.
– Peel onions and chop them fine.
– Melt sugar in a pot until yellow golden, add lard or ghee, saute onions until transparent.
– Add cabbage, place juniper berries, clove, cinnamon stick and bay leave in a muslin bag, and add it to the cabbage.
– Add the vinegar and the pear juice.
– Let it simmer covered on medium-low heat for 1 hour, stir frequently.
– Take off lid and let is boil until all liquid is gone.
– Peel pears and cut in small cubes, add to cabbage and let it boil for another 6-8 minutes.
– Spice with salt and pepper to taste.