The German red cabbage with pears is a delicious side dish for goulash, roasted beef or any beef or pork dish. It is a perfect combination with dumplings, Spaetzle or mashed potatoes. Pears go very well with red cabbage and the best is to use organic red cabbage for this dish. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Red Cabbage with Pears
1 red cabbage of about 1.5 kg
1-2 onions medium size
2 tbsp sugar
50 g clarified butter or lard
5 juniper berries
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 bay leave
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
350 ml pear juice
250 g pears
salt, pepper to taste
Cooking Instructions German Red Cabbage with Pears
- Remove outer cabbage leaves, cut red cabbage in quarters and remove hard parts.
- Cut the cabbage in very fine stripes or grate it.
- Peel onions and chop them fine.
- Melt sugar in a pot until yellow golden, add lard or ghee, saute onions until transparent.
- Add cabbage, place juniper berries, clove, cinnamon stick and bay leave in a muslin bag, and add it to the cabbage.
- Add the vinegar and the pear juice.
- Let it simmer covered on medium-low heat for 1 hour, stir frequently.
- Take off lid and let is boil until all liquid is gone.
- Peel pears and cut in small cubes, add to cabbage and let it boil for another 6-8 minutes.
- Spice with salt and pepper to taste.