What about a Quark Streusel Cake with Fruit to combine with a cup of coffee or tea? This is an authentic and proven German recipe, you just have to make the quark which is not so difficult. There is one quark available int he USA which is the one from Vermont. You can find it in special stores such as Wholefoods. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Quark Streusel Cake
250 g butter
250 g sugar (or less depending on your taste for sweetness)
1 package vanilla sugar – 0.5oz
1 dash salt
1 package baking powder – 0.3oz
500 g flour
1 kg quark
200 g sugar
1 package vanilla pudding – 1.5 oz (alternatively corn starch and vanilla extract)
juice of half lemon
1 jar sour cherries or other fruit – 24oz
Baking Instructions German Quark Streusel Cake
– Melt butter, let cool off.
– Combine all dough ingredients and knead until you get a crumbly dough.
– Keep 1/4 of the dough.
– Layer a deep baking tray with parchment paper.
– Press 3/4 of the dough evenly on baking tray.
– Pre-heat oven to 375 F (175 C)
– Mix all ingredients – NOT THE FRUIT – for the topping, and spread evenly over the dough.
– Place the fruit on top plus the remaining dough as Streusel.
– Bake for 30-35 min on the middle rack.