What about a Quark Streusel Cake with Fruit to combine with a cup of coffee or tea? This is an authentic and proven German recipe, you just have to make the quark which is not so difficult. A new quark on the market is the one from Wundercreamery.com – this quark is very authentic and can be purchased in many stores at the East coast – check their store finder. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Quark Streusel Cake
250 g butter
250 g sugar (or less depending on your taste for sweetness)
1 package vanilla sugar – 0.5oz
1 dash salt
1 package baking powder – 0.3oz
500 g flour
1 kg quark
– Check out Wundercreamery.com to see if you can get Quark in your area –
200 g sugar
1 package vanilla pudding – 1.5 oz (alternatively corn starch and vanilla extract)
juice of half lemon
1 jar sour cherries or other fruit like raspberries or blueberries – 24oz
Baking Instructions German Quark Streusel Cake
– Melt butter, let cool off.
– Combine all dough ingredients and knead until you get a crumbly dough.
– Keep 1/4 of the dough.
– Layer a deep baking tray with parchment paper.
– Press 3/4 of the dough evenly on baking tray.
– Pre-heat oven to 375 F (175 C).
– Mix all ingredients – NOT THE FRUIT – for the topping, and spread evenly over the dough.
– Place the fruit on top plus the remaining dough as Streusel.
– Bake for 30-35 min on the middle rack.