Regarding the plums that you should use, you would use Italian or Filbert plums which we call "Zwetschgen" in German. They are smaller and more oval than round. As far as we know the plum dumplings are actually from Austria (the Austrian recipe contains potatoes), and is a typical "sweet Mehlspeise" - translated it means a sweet dish containing flour. Austria is famous for its sweet "Mehlspeisen", they serve them as an alternative for a supper. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Plum Dumplings
500 g Quark (low fat quark)
50 g soft unsalted butter
150 g flour
grated lemon peel
15 Italian or Filbert plums , de-pitted
some salt and sugar
cinnamon and sugar, mixed
Cooking Instructions German Plum Dumplings
- Make a dough out of quark, butter, egg, flour, hint of salt and sugar - use the mixer with kneading hooks - the dough should not be liquid, you need to be able to form dumplings out of it.
- Wash plums, dry them, and cut each one in half, but not completely, remove the pits.
- Take a walnut sized piece of dough (1-2 tbsp) and surround the plum with it (form a dumpling); the prune needs to be completely wrapped in dough
- In a big pot bring enough water with 1/2 tsp salt to a boil, then add the dumplings, one after the other.
- Let them cook on low heat for up to 15 minutes, leave the lid a bit open.
- Meanwhile melt some butter and prepare the cinnamon-sugar mix in a bowl.
- Take dumplings out with a slotted spoon, and serve them right away.
- Pour melted butter over them and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mix.
Depending on the size you can make more or less dumplings. If you use other fruit like sour cherries, apricot or apple, you will get more dumplings as they would be smaller
You also can use prunes from the jar; the juice can be heated up and served with the dumplings.
The dough should not be sticky; put some drops of cooking oil on your hands, if the dough is a bit sticky.
Try it out with Vanilla sauce.
Some say quark that is available in the USA might not be as good as German quark, some say it is just fine. I found quark in the California supermarket chain and organic store Wholefoods.
And if you like to make your own quark, there is a recipe on this blog:
How to make your own quark