Regarding the plums that you should use, you would use Italian or Filbert plums which we call “Zwetschgen” in German. They are smaller and more oval than round. As far as we know the traditional plum dumpling recipe comes from Austria, and is a typical “sweet Mehlspeise” – translated it means a sweet dish containing flour. Austria is famous for its sweet “Mehlspeisen”, they serve them as an alternative for a supper. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Plum Dumplings
(for about 15-20 dumplings)
700 g potatoes
250 g flour
40 g butter
1 dash salt
1 kg plums
powdered sugar, melted butter
Or a mix of cinnamon and sugar, or grated poppyseeds and sugar
Cooking Instructions German Plum Dumplings
– Boil potatoes with skin, let cool off.
– Wash plums and pat dry, remove pits and use a sugar cube that will be placed into the middle of the plum.
The original version of the recipe says, don’t remove pits.
– Peel potatoes, then grate or press them through a potato press.
– Combine with flour, egg, butter and salt; mix well until you get a dough.
– Take a walnut sized piece of dough (1-2 tbsp) and surround the plum with it (form a dumpling); the plum needs to be completely wrapped in dough.
– Bring water to a boil with a dash of salt.
– Place the dumplings carefully in the water, and stir carefully, so they won’t stick on the bottom of the pan.
– Bring again to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer 5-7 min. Dumplings should swim at the surface.
– Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon, and serve them right away.
Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mix over dumplings together with melted butter.
In Austria you would add grated poppyseeds mixed with sugar to the dumplings.
Depending on the size you can make more or less dumplings. If you use other fruit like sour cherries, apricots or apples, the size will vary.
You also can use canned plums. The juice can be heated up and served with the dumplings.
The dough should not be sticky; put some drops cooking oil or flour on your hands, if the dough should get a bit sticky.
Serve the dumplings with Vanilla sauce – How to Make Vanilla Sauce –