The German Potato soup is a very popular soup in Germany, and as you probably know Germany is the country of potatoes. There are special potatoes for salad, mashed and fried potatoes. This potato soup is a classic soup that is easy to make and tastes very good combined with Wiener sausages or Frankfurters. It is a so called “Eintopf dish”, a dish that is cooking in one pan. You can slice the sausages or just add it as whole to the soup 10 minutes before your serve it. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Potato Soup
1 kg potatoes
1-2 celery stalks or 1/2 celery root
1 bay leave
1.5 liter water
1-2 cubes instant vegetable broth (organic, eg from Rapunzel) – optional
salt, pepper, fresh grated nutmeg to taste
2-4 tbsp parsley, chopped
4 Wiener sausages
Cooking Instructions German Potato Soup
– Peel potatoes, wash them and cut into small cubes, add them in a big pot.
– Peel carrots, cut them in small cubes; chop onion; cut leek in very small slices; cut celery root in small cubes, stalk in slices.
– Add the vegetable to the potatoes and fill up with broth or water until vegetable is covered.
– Bring to a boil and let simmer for app. 25 minutes.
– Take one third of the soup into a bowl and puree it with a mixer. This will help to thicken the soup.
– Spice with salt and pepper and nutmeg.
– The soup should not be too thin. If the soup is too thin add some cream combined with 1 tsp flour.
– Bring the soup again to a boil, then reduce heat.
– Add the Wiener sausages to the soup, let in the soup for 5 minutes.
– Serve the soup with the sausages. Sprinkle parsley on top before serving.
Do you LOVE German Food Specialities?
– If you like the Bavarian Weisswurst (or Bratwurst): Peel the skin off the sausages and cut them in slices. Roll the slices in flour and fry them in hot butter or oil. Serve with the soup.
– Add other veggies to the soup.
– Fry chopped onions in 1 tbsp olive oil until transparent, add vegetable and potatoes and fill up with water – you won’t need to use broth.