German Potato Salad Recipe
Authentic German potato salad recipe from the South of Germany, Swabia, the region around Stuttgart, Freiburg and Karlsruhe. Every traditional restaurant (Gasthaus) serves this potato salad either in combination with a mixed salad or just plain. We call it in German "Kartoffelsalat".
This German potato salad recipe is one of my favorite salad recipes. My mother used to make the best GHerman potato salad. She boiled the potatoes, and let them cool off completely before she grated them. This is the trick. Every Christmas Eve, which is the 24th in Germany, we had this German potato salad with Wiener sausages (the long and thin sausages). Then we would open the gifts and enjoy the German Christmas cookies which you can find on this blog in the category Christmas Cookies. Happy Cooking
Ingredients German Potato Salad (serves 6-8)
* 1,5 pounds cooked (waxy) potatoes
* 500 ml beef broth
* 1 medium sized onion
* 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 1/4 cup sun flower oil
* 1/4 cup vinegar
* salt, pepper
* chopped parsley or chives
Cooking Instructions German Potato Salad
- Boil the potatoes; don't peel them.
- While potatoes are boiling chop the onion finely, add it into a big bowl.
- Add oil, vinegar and mustard, stir.
- Pour 250ml (half of the amount) HOT beef or vegetable broth (use instant powder or make it) over it.
- When potatoes are done take them out of the water, peel them, let them cool off, then cut them into thin slices (potatoes must not be hot).
- Add them to the onion broth and stir. Add more broth if necessary; the salad should NOT be too dry (you should hear a smacking sound while stirring) and should NOT be swimming in broth.
- Add salt, pepper.
- Let salad rest for some time to see if it still moist (potatoes soak the liquid fast), add more broth if needed.
- Add the chopped parsley or chives on top.
This German potato salad tastes delicious as a side dish with the famous German "Wienerschnitzel", hot dogs, sausages or is a great side dish for a barbecue.
And it has less calories as you think! 5 pounds of this salad are having only 1900 calories.
Tips for the German Potato Salad Recipe
* Buy waxy, yellow potatoes; if possible use organic potatoes.
* Home made broth is the best or bouillon (cubes), the one in a container is always artificially flavored and doesn't taste as good.
* You can add parsley or chives before you serve it.
* Don't use chicken broth.
* Don't use soft and floury potatoes.
* Never use mayonnaise for this salad.