Authentic German potato salad recipe from the South of Germany, Swabia, the region around Stuttgart, Freiburg and Karlsruhe. Every traditional inn or restaurant (Gasthaus) serves this potato salad either in combination with a mixed salad or just plain. We call it in German "Kartoffelsalat".
This German potato salad recipe is one of my favorite salad recipes. My mother used to make the best German potato salad. She boiled the potatoes, and let them cool off completely before she grated them. This is the trick. On every Christmas Eve, the 24th of December, we had exactly this German potato salad with Wiener sausages (the long and thin sausages). Then we would open the gifts and enjoy the German Christmas cookies which you can find on this website in the category "Christmas Cookies". Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Potato Salad Recipe
* 1,5 pounds cooked potatoes (preferably Gold potatoes, yellow)
* 500 ml beef or vegetable broth - How to make Vegetable Broth -
* 1 medium sized onion
* 2 tablespoons (German) mustard
* 1/4 cup sun flower oil
* 1/4 cup vinegar (white or red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar works well too)
* salt, pepper to taste
* chopped parsley or chives
Cooking Instructions German Potato Salad Recipe
- Boil potatoes; don't peel them.
- While potatoes are boiling chop onion finely, place into a big bowl.
- Add oil, vinegar and mustard, mix well.
- Pour 250ml (half of the amount) HOT beef or vegetable broth (use instant powder or make it) over it.
- When potatoes are done take them out of the water, peel, let cool off.
- Cut into very thin slices (potatoes must not be hot).
- Add them to onion broth and mix well with a wooden spoon. Add more broth if necessary; the salad should NOT be too dry (you should hear a smacking sound while mixing) and should NOT be swimming in broth.
- Add salt, pepper to taste.
- Let salad rest for some time to see if it still moist (potatoes soak the liquid fast), add more broth if needed.
- Add the chopped parsley or chives on top.
This German potato salad tastes delicious as a side dish with the famous German "Wienerschnitzel", hot dogs, Wiener sausages, Bratwurst, Bockwurst, or Weisswurst; makes a great side dish for a barbecue.
Tips for the German Potato Salad Recipe
* Buy waxy, yellow potatoes; if possible use organic potatoes.
* Home made broth is the best or bouillon (cubes), the one in a container is always artificially flavored and doesn't taste as good.
* You can add parsley or chives before you serve it.
* Don't use chicken broth.
* Don't use soft and floury potatoes.
* Never use mayonnaise for this salad.