The German potato carrot soup is one of these soups that are very easy to make. And not only that, it is a healthy soup as well! You don’t need any special ingredients at all. Of course you can buy packaged soups; I never do because they all contains sugat, at least the ones in the USA. We recommend to use organic carrots and potatoes and make the broth from scratch – this is a yummy soup for cold days or when you feel like it must be a soup today. Happy Cooking!
1 smaller onion
1 garlic clove (optional)
1 tbsp butter
500 g potatoes
400 g carrots
500 ml vegetable broth (instant) or Make the Vegetable Broth from Scratch –
1/2 cup heavy cream
300 ml Milch
1-2 tsp parsley, chopped
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
– Cut potatoes and carrots in same sized pieces, you can cut or grate them roughly.
– Chop onion and garlic clove fine.
– Melt butter, saute garlic with onions briefly, then add potatoes and carrots. Saute for 2 min.
– Add vegetable broth, heavy cream. Bring to a brisk boil, then let simmer for 20 min.
– By using a stick mixer puree the soup.
– Add chopped parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
You can also use some chopped bacon that you fry with onions.
Instead of heavy cream use milk or a mix of milk and half and half (less fat).