The German plum Cake with Streusel is a popular German cake and if you can get Italian plums you should bake this cake. Even baking beginners will be successful. The cake is very easy to make, you just need vanilla sugar, vanilla pudding and baking powder from Dr. Oetker. In Germany we would use the so called “Zwetschgen” which are called in the USA “Italian plums”. Don’t use the regular plums because they are too soft and mushy. Streusel in English means crumbles, so this cake is topped with a layer of crumbles. Alternatively you also could use apples or peaches. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Plum Cake with Streusel
150 g flour
1 package Dr. Oetker Vanilla /Cream Pudding – or cornstarch and vanilla extract
120 g butter, soft
60 g sugar
1 point of a knife baking powder, Dr Oetker
1 shot dark rum (optional) or Rum flavor
1/2 kg Italian plums (Zwetschgen in German)
Or use the Kathi Shortcrust Baking Mix to make the Base cake
Baking Instructions German Plum Cake with Streusel
– Mix all ingredients for the dough, with the hands or hand mixer and kneading hooks, knead it until you get a smooth dough.
– Form to a ball, and wrap in foil, refrigerate for 30 min.
– Grease a spring form (10 inches) with butter. Sprinkle with flour or bread crumbs.
– Place the dough in the middle, and from there press it gently so the bottom is all covered. Use some dough also around the rims.
– Remove pits from the plums, and depending on the size cut them in half or quarters.
– Place them on the dough.
– Make the Streusel by mixing and kneading all ingredients – melt butter slightly – and spread them evenly over the plums.
– Bake for 34-45 min on 350 F (180C)
Serve with whipped cream.