The German plum Cake with Streusel is a popular German cake and if you can get Italian plums you should bake this cake. Even baking beginners will be successful. The cake is very easy to make, you just need vanilla sugar, vanilla pudding and baking powder from Dr. Oetker. In Germany we would use “Zwetschgen” which are called in the USA “Italian plums”. Don’t use the regular plums because they are too soft and mushy. Streusel in English means crumbles, so this cake is topped with a layer of crumbles. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Plum Cake with Streusel
150 g flour
1 package Dr. Oetker Vanilla Pudding – or cornstarch with vanilla flavor
120 g butter, soft
60 g sugar
1 point of a knife baking powder Dr Oetker
1 shot dark rum (optional)
1/2 kg Italian plums (Zwetschgen in German)
100 g flour
75 g butter
50 g sugar
2 packages Dr. Oetker Vanilla sugar, 0.6 oz (Vanillinzucker) – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
1 tsp cinnamon
Baking Instructions German Plum Cake with Streusel
– Mix all ingredients for the dough and knead it until you get a smooth dough. Wrap dough in foil and place it in the fridge for 30 min.
– Grease a spring form lightly with butter. Place the dough in the middle and from there press it gently so the bottom is all covered and press it also up toward the edges of the form.
– Remove pit from the plums, and depending on the size cut them in half or quarters.
– Place them on the dough.
– Make the Streusel by mixing and kneading all ingredients – melt butter slightly – and spread them evenly over the plums.
– Bake for 34-45 min on 350 F (180C)
Serve with whipped cream.