The German plum Cake with Streusel is a popular German cake and if you can get Italian plums you should bake this cake. Even baking beginners will be successful. The cake is very easy to make, you just need vanilla sugar, vanilla pudding and baking powder from Dr. Oetker. In Germany we would use the so called “Zwetschgen” which are called “Italian plums” in the USA. Don’t use the regular plums because they are too soft. Streusel in English means crumbles, so this cake is topped with a layer of sweet crumbles. Alternatively you also could use apples or peaches. Happy Baking!
150 g flour
1 package Dr. Oetker Vanilla or Cream Pudding – or cornstarch and vanilla extract
120 g butter, soft
60 g sugar
1 point of a knife baking powder, Dr Oetker
1 shot dark rum (optional) or Rum flavor
1/2 kg Italian plums (Zwetschgen in German)
– Mix all ingredients for the dough, with the hands or hand mixer and kneading hooks, knead it until you get a smooth dough.
– Form to a ball, and wrap in foil, refrigerate for 30 min.
– Grease a spring form (10 inches) with butter. Dust with flour generously.
– Place the dough in the middle, and from there press it gently so the bottom will be covered. Use some dough also around the rims.
– Remove pits from the plums, and depending on the size cut them in half or quarters.
– Place them on the dough.
– Make the Streusel by mixing and kneading all ingredients – melt butter slightly – and spread them evenly over the plums.
– Bake for 34-45 min on 350 F (180C)
Serve with whipped cream.