This Original German peach quark pastry is not that difficult to make, and if you don’t have a European bakery nearby, you probably will have no other chance than baking them.
The puff pastry dough can be purchased from Pillsbury and Pepperidge (Target), Costco carries them too. Depending on the kind of pastry dough you use, you either have to roll the dough and make squares, or use pre-cut sheets. Instead of peaches you can use other fruit such as apricots, cherries, mandarins, strawberries or blueberries. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Peach Quark Pastry
(for 4 pastries)
4 sheets puff pastry dough, frozen (200 g)
150 g quark – How to Make Quark –
(Alternatively use sour cream or creme fraiche)
30 g sugar
1 tbsp vanilla pudding powder or cornstarch and some vanilla sugar or extract
4 peach halves (can or fresh)
Baking Instructions German Peach Quark Pastry
- Thaw the pastry dough sheets per instructions.
- Optional: Roll each of them to squares if you don’t use a pre-cut dough.
- Separate 1 egg, and combine with sugar, quark and pudding powder. Mix well.
- Pre-heat oven to 390 F.
- Place the cream on the middle of each square and spread it a bit.
- Put one peach halve in the middle.
If you use fresh peaches you need to remove the skin. Place peaches in boiling water for some minutes, then dip in ice cold water, wwith a sharp knife remove the skin. Works very well with ripe peaches.
- Take the edges from the square, and gently press them together towards the middle.
- Beat the other egg and with a baking brush spread over the dough.
- Bake on 200 C or 390 F for 20 min.
- Heat apricot jam.
- Mix powdered sugar with some water.
- Glaze the warm pastries first with the liquid jam, then sprinkle with the almond slices OR if you like create some thin stripes with the sugar glaze.
No Subscription – Just buy as you Like
You can cut the peaches into little pieces.
Use other frozen or canned berries instead of peaches.
Instead of the vanilla pudding you could use almond or cream pudding.
Combine the peach in the middle and with strawberries or raspberries, just place them around the peach.