The German Pastry Donauwelle Cake - in English "Danube wave" - is from the Danube region or Donauschwaben region. The Danube starts in the Black Forest and goes through many cities and countries towards the East with its final destination the Black Sea. The cuisine from that region is traditional and ancient. It has grown over the centuries and one recipe of that cuisine is the popular cake Donauwelle.
The German cake is made out of a dark and light biscuit dough and a buttery cream, with sour cherries and chocolate topping - that's why they call it also "Schneewittchenkuchen" (Snow-white Cake) because of the dark and light contrast and the red (cherries) for the lips. Remember Snow-white has dark hair and fair skin and red lips. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Pastry Donauwelle Cake
200 g butter (for the biscuit cake)
150 g sugar
250 g soft butter (for the vanilla cream)
1 tsp vanilla extract
300 g flour
2 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
700 g sour cherries (jar)
500 ml milk
1 package vanilla pudding Dr Oetker - How to make Vanilla Pudding -
2 tbsp sugar
Baking Instructions German Pastry Donauwelle Cake
- Beat soft butter with sugar until foamy.
- Add the eggs
- Mix flour with baking powder and add to the dough, mix well.
- Place baking paper in a deep baking tray or a fire proof form.
- Add 2/3 of the dough into the form.
- Mix remaining dough with cocoa powder and add this on top of the light dough. It should not get mixed up.
- Drain sour cherries, place them on the dough.
- Bake in pre-heated oven on 175 C or 350 F for about 30 minutes.
- When done let cool off completely.
- Make the pudding per instructions. Place plastic foil on top so no skin will build. Let cool off completely.
- When the pudding is cool, mix with 250 g very soft butter, spoon by spoon add butter, until you get a cream.
- Spread the cream evenly over the cooled off baked cake.
- Dust a layer of cocoa on top or a layer of dark chocolate glaze.
How to Make the Chocolate Glaze
100 g dark chocolate (72% cocoa)
100 g normal milk chocolate
70 g butter
Melt all ingredients using the double-boiler method until it is liquid.
Spread the glaze on top of the cake by using a wide knife.
You can also use 1-2 bars dark chocolate and melt them (double boiler method), then add 1 tbsp organic coconut oil, expeller pressed (taste neutral), or organic shortening. The oil adds some nice shine to the glaze.