German Oat cookies are made out of rolled oats and are very easy to make. If you want to start baking for the holidays start with these cookies. It is an original German recipe and if you can get the German rolled oats that would be great (Köllnflocken). If not you can get them in any good supermarket. But don’t use the instant ones. The German rolled oat is very tender and is made from the whole oat grain that contains the high-quality germ in the outer zones of the grain. This part contains 80% of the minerals, 85% of the vitamins and 60% of the protein. It’s healthy and delicious!
In Germany we use it to make a delicious breakfast porridge:
4 Tbsp of oats and 3 cups of milk with 1 dash of salt. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit for 3-4 minutes. Serve in a bowl and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp sugar and/or cinnamon. Happy Baking!
(for 25 cookies)
1 heaped tsp baking powder
80-100g rolled oats (such as the German Köllnflocken)
coarse sugar and/or cinnamon
1 tbsp rum flavor
– Mix butter, sugar and egg until bubbly.
– Mix flour with baking powder and add to the mix.
– Add rolled oats, then rum.
– Pre-heat oven to 375 F and layer a baking tray with baking paper.
– With a teaspoon make little balls and place them on the tray – keep a big distance in between the cookies, they will spread.
– Finally add on each cookie some coarse sugar pieces and bake them for 12 minutes.
– Remove from the tray only when they have completely cooled off other wise they might break.