The German New Years Cake is a traditional cake with 3 layers of different fillings: poppy seeds, nuts and apple. This is an original German proven recipe. You might ask yourself why is this a new years cake? Tradition and popular belief says that poppy and nuts are supposed to bring health and good luck to the home. That is a good reason to get started. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German New Years Cake
400 g flour
200 g butter
100 g powdered sugar
2 egg yolk
2 tbsp sour cream
200 g poppy seeds, ground
50 g butter
50 g sugar
50 g raisins
1 cup milk
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp rum
1 package vanilla sugar
peel of 1 lemon, organic
150 g hazelnuts or almonds, or mix half almonds and hazelnuts, ground
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup milk
some cinnamon and cloves, ground
½ kg apples
30 g butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 egg and some butter
Baking Instructions German New Years Cake
- Place all ingredients for the base into a bowl and knead until you get a smooth dough. Wrap it in foil and keep it cool for at least 1 hour or over night.
- Mix poppy with all other ingredients in a pot and let it soak for 1-2 minutes on low heat, then let it cool off.
- Mix nuts with sugar and milk, spice with cinnamon and cloves.
- Peel apples and cut in small pieces; saute them on low heat with butter and sugar without adding any water. They need to be semi soft, not mushy.
- Take the base dough and cut it in 4 parts; roll each part on a baking board that is sprinkled with flour, dough should be thin not thick.
- Place 1 dough on the bottom of a spring form and add the poppy filling.
- Cover with the second dough and add the nut filling.
- Cover with third dough and add apple filling; cover with the last dough.
- Beat 1 egg and spread it over the last cover by using a baking brush; with a fork poke the dough several times.
- Bake the cake in pre-heated oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes on 360 F.
Place the cake 1-2 days in a cool place before you serve it.
Dust it with a layer of powdered sugar before you serve it.