The German Mustard Soup is a soup that you will find in the Rhineland around the cities Cologne, Bonn and Duesseldorf. Make sure to use German mustard, the recipe is using three different kind of mustard. The popular “Loewensenf” comes from Duesseldorf. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Mustard Soup
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 Liter vegetable broth – How to make Vegetable Broth – the Recipe –
250 g Crème fraîche or heavy cream
2 tbsp mustard, very hot (extra scharf)
1 tbsp mustard, medium hot (mittelscharf)
1 tbsp mustard, Bavarian sweet (suess)
salt to taste
1-2 tsp sugar
mustard seeds to taste
Cooking Instructions German Mustard Soup
- Clean leek and cut in fine slices.
- Melt butter, saute leek.
- Dust with flour.
- Add broth, bring to a brisk boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for about 10 min.
- Mix in Crème fraiche and mustard, spice with salt and sugar.
- If necessary you can add more broth.
- Serve with some mustard seeds and chopped parsley on top if you wish.