The German mustard pickles are so easy to make, you just need pickling cucumbers, onions and some ingredients for the pickle liquid. Mustard pickles are very popular in Germany and can be bought at any supermarket. They are sweet-sour and great for the BBQ. Happy Cooking!
2 kg firm cucumbers
1/2 liter white wine vinegar
1/2 liter water
500 g sugar (or less depending how sweet you like them)
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tsp pickle seasoning (should possibly contain: Pepper, dill seed, bay leaves, ginger, cloves, allspice, chili, these are the ingredients of the German pickle seasoning)
3 tbsp salt
1 onion, sliced
1 bundle dill, preferably fresh
– Peel cucumbers, remove seeds.
– Cut vertically, and then cut in 3-4 inches pieces.
– Place cucumbers with sliced onions and dill in jars.
– Make sure you stuff the jars very good.
– Bring water, sugar, vinegar, seasoning and mustard seeds to a boil and boil for 3 min.
– Stuff the jars very tight and add the liquid almost until to the top (1 inch below), close with a lid right away.
If you like soft pickles cook the cucumber and onions, but not the dill, for 3-5 min in the pickle liquid; place in jars with dill and add the liquid.
Add some garlic cloves or chili peppers for a spicy taste.
Money Saver: Use empty jam jars with a lid, rinse them very well with boiling hot water or have them cleaned in the dish washer.