The German meatloaf classic recipe or any other meatloaf variation is very popular in Germany. The meat we use for making the meatloaf in Germany is mostly half pork and half beef. Sometimes if you use only lean beef it can get dry because this beef has a low fat content. Important is the gravy which can be made easily. Serve the German meatloaf classic with side dishes such as mashed or fried potatoes, pasta and of course a salad or you favorite choice of vegetable. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Meatloaf Classic
1 1/2 two days old rolls or any light wheat or French bread
2 smaller onions
5-6 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp butter
600 g ground meat, half beef and pork or just beef – 1.1 lb
2 smaller eggs
1/8 liter – 1/2 cup broth, instant (vegetable or beef broth)
1/8 liter – 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp crème fraîche or sour cream
1 tsp sweet, mild paprika powder
salt, pepper, cayenne pepper to taste, 1 dash nutmeg
some butter for the form
Cooking Instructions German Meatloaf Classic
– Cut the rolls in fine slices, place in a bowl and soak in water until the bread is soft. Then press all water out of the rolls before you use them.
– Chop the pickles and onions fine.
– Heat 1 tbsp butter and saute onions until transparent; add chopped parsley.
– Place this mix in a bowl, add rolls, pickles, meat, eggs and lemon juice.
– Spice to taste, and knead thoroughly, the best with the hands.
– Melt remaining butter, take some soft butter and grease the form with it.
– Form a loaf out of the meat and place it in a fire proof form.
– Broil for 30 min on 350 F (convection) or on 375 F no convection.
– Brush now and then some melted butter of the loaf so it won’t get dry.
Make the Gravy:
– Heat the broth, mix with heavy cream, creme fraiche and paprika (double the amount if you need more gravy).
– Pour the gravy over the meatloaf and broil for another 10-15 min.