There was never a Christmas in my childhood without the classic German Marzipan Potatoes or Balls.
They always were mixed into the Christmas cookie plate. And you bet, these were the first that were gone! They are so easy to make. You need only a few ingredients to make them. It’s a no-bake recipe. Just mix the ingredients. If you cannot find marzipan, there is a recipe on how to make it included.
The original German recipe is using Kirschschnaps or Kirschwasser (alcohol from the Black forest) for this recipe. It’s probably the ingredient that makes the difference but Kirschwasser is not easy to get in the USA, and as far as I remember the marzipan potatoes of my childhood didn’t contain alcohol. So not to use Kirschwasser is probably fine. I found in another recipe that rose water is added.
Zentis is a German brand that is popular for this candy and that’s what they use: Sugar, ALMONDS (26%), invert sugar syrup, glucose syrup, low-fat cocoa powder, humectant Invertase E 1103. No alcohol. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Marzipan Potatoes
200 g baking marzipan, raw
150 g powdered sugar
1 tbsp Kirschwasser (optional)- alternatively use rose water
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
Baking Instructions German Marzipan Potatoes
– Knead marzipan with powdered sugar and Kirschwasser.
– Place cocoa into a plastic or glass container with a tight lid.
– Form little balls from the marzipan dough.
– Place 3 or 4 balls in the container with cocoa, close lid and shake it. The cocoa should stick to the balls.
– If there is too much cocoa sticking on the balls, place them in a sieve and shake off excess cocoa.
– Alternatively sprinkle cocoa on a plate and roll each ball in it.
– Keep them in a tin box.
These marzipan balls taste better if you let them sit for 2-3 days. So it’s wise to bake them in advance.
How to Make Marzipan from Scratch
100 g ground almonds
10ml rose water
80 g powdered sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp brandy (optional) or 1/2 tsp water
Knead all ingredients until you get a smooth dough. You have to knead a while until the essential oils are released into the ground almonds. Form a bar or roll and keep in the fridge (good for 2 weeks).