A festive and delicious cake is the German Mandarine Orange Sour Cream Cake – It is called Schmandkuchen in Germany. “Schmand” is the equivalent to the American sour cream that is used for this cake. It is not curdling by the heat when baking. If you are into baking you will love this cake. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Mandarine Orange Sour Cream Cake
10.6 oz – 300g- all purpose flour
3.5 oz (100g) confectioners sugar
2 tsp baking powder Dr Oetker
1/2 tsp natural vanilla extract
2 medium egg yolks
1/2 cup (120g) soft butter
2 1/8 cups (500ml) milk
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
2.8 oz (80g) organic cornstarch
2 tsp vanilla extract
21 oz (600g) sour cream (in German it is Schmand)
12 oz (350g) clementines (mandarin oranges), canned and drained
Baking Instructions German Mandarine Orange Sour Cream Cake
Make the Base Cake
– Combine sifted flour, confectioners sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl.
– Add vanilla extract, egg yolks, and butter. With a hand mixer mix well until you get a smooth dough (if the dough should get crumbly just add some water).
– Form a ball out of the the dough, wrap in foil, and keep in fridge for 30 min.
Make the Filling
– Combine milk with sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, and sour cream. It should be of thick consistence without being clumpy.
– Set aside.
– Drain the clementines.
– Preheat oven to 340°F (170°C).
– Use a spring form of 10 inches diameter (25cm) and line with parchment paper.
– Remove base dough from fridge, unwrap and roll 2/3 of the dough so it will fit into the form.
– Form out of remaining dough a log which is used to be placed around the edges of the spring form.
– With a fork poke the dough several times.
– Place half of the clementines on the base dough then pour the filling on top.
– Add remaining clementines on top.
– Bake for about 60-70 min until the cake has set.
– Remove from oven and let cool off on a rack. Release form when completely cooled off and not earlier.
Vary the cake by using sour cherries or apricots.
Do you Love Baking Mixes? LoveGermanFood.com has a delicious and easy to use