The German liver dumpling soup is a Bavarian Specialty and called in German "Leberknoedelsuppe". Knoedel is a dumpling and Leber is liver. If you travel to Bavaria one day, don't forget to try one; you can get this soup in almost every Gasthaus. The home made recipe's base is a beef broth, as described in one of my former recipes. In Germany you can buy the Leberknoedel in cans or frozen, unfortunately not in the USA. We have to make them! Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Liver Dumpling Soup
2 l beef broth - Do to the Recipe for Beef Broth -
750 g beef liver
300 g beef
8 older rolls (preferably German rolls)
fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives, tarragon, thyme, lovage (liebstoeckel)
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
Cooking Instructions German Liver Dumpling Soup
- Bring the broth in a bigger pot to a boil. You can use also organic instant beef broth.
- Run the beef and liver through a meat grinder.
- Soak the buns in warm water.
- Peel onions and chop them fine; wash herbs and chop them too.
- Add the meat into a bowl and mix it with onions, herbs and eggs.
- Squeeze the water thoroughly out of the buns, mix it with the meat.
- Add spices to taste.
- With moist hands form dumplings, not too big, with a foam spoon put them into the boiling hot broth, reduce heat.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Important: Don't bring the broth to a boil anymore otherwise the dumplings will fall apart.
Serve the soup with some sprinkled parsley on top.