The German Lemon Torte will be the high light at your party or occasion! It is a refreshing cake with 2 layers, surrounded by whipped cream. Decorate this cake to your needs eg. use it for a birthday and customize it with numbers and the name. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Lemon Torte
4 eggs separated
125 g sugar
1 package Dr Oetker vanilla sugar (0.3oz) – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
3 tbsp warm water
75 g flour
50 g corn starch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
8 sheets gelatin (0.40 oz or 13.3g ground Knox gelatin)
300 ml butter milk
150 g sugar
zest of 1 organic lemon
110 ml fresh lemon juice
600-800ml heavy cream (depends on how much you want to spread around the cake)
pistachios, unsalted, chopped
lemon balm leaves or super thin sliced lemons (don’t use lime because they can leave a bitter taste after a while)
Baking Instructions German Lemon Torte
– mix egg yolks with water and 60 g sugar until foamy.
– beat egg whites with vanilla sugar and 65 g sugar until firm, mix with egg yolks, fold in flour, baking powder and starch.
– fill the dough into a (greased or layered with parchment paper) spring form (diameter 8 inches).
– bake for 25 min on 350 F convection
Dissolve gelatin, mix with butter milk, sugar, lemon zest and juice.
– place the filling in fridge so it gets a little bit firm.
– meanwhile beat half of the heavy cream until firm, mix with the filling.
– Cut the base biscuit horizontally in half, place spring form around.
– spread half of the filling on the biscuit, place other biscuit on top and add remaining filling on it. Spread even.
– Keep the cake for 4-5 hours in the fridge (or over night) so the cream can get firm.
– Decorate the cake with the pistachios, lemon balm leaves and whipped cream. Use a frosting bag to make little dots or lines.
Note: Gelatin is used as sheets in Germany for baking. What is gelatin?
Gelatin is an odorless, tasteless and colorless thickening agent, which when dissolved in hot water and then cooled, forms a jelly. It’s useful for many purposes such as jelling desserts and salads, thickening cold soups and glazing patés. Or for baking these creamy German cakes!
The packet below that you get on Amazon is a Packet of 6 sheets, totaling 10 grams/0.33 ounces, sufficient for 2 cups/500 ml of liquid (Product of Germany)