German Lebkuchen hearts are very popular on all German fairs, the Oktoberfest and the Christmas markets. There are booths which sell the hearts with all names and wishes. Unfortunately you cannot buy them here in America but you can make them at home. Decorate them as you like. It is a great gift for birthdays or party favors. Surprise your friends and family with a customized Lebkuchen heart, they will love it. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Lebkuchen Hearts
(for 25-30 hearts of 14 cm or 6 inches diameter)
300 g butter
775 g honey
175 g sugar
2 -4 tbsp lebkuchen spice (or to taste)
2 tbsp cocoa (unsweetened)
1800 g flour
1 tbsp baking powder
Frosting: 2 egg white, 400 g powdered sugar
Baking Instructions German Lebkuchen Hearts
– place butter, honey and sugar in a pot, mix it and warm it until the sugar has dissolved.
– add the spices and cocoa, you should get a smooth dough. Let cool off.
– in a bowl mix flour with baking powder (use a flour sieve), make a small mold and add salt, eggs and honey dough into the mold, knead until you get a firm dough.
– place dough in a bowl, cover it with kitchen cloth or foil, let rest at room temperature for 1/2 to 1 day.
– on a wooden baking board that is sprinkled with flour, next day roll the dough 1cm thick (1/2 inch) and cut out hearts (you need big heart cookie cutters). Take small portions of the dough and roll it, the best heart by heart. You also can make heart templates on a card board and place them on the dough, then cut it out.
– place the hearts on a greased baking tray or layered with baking paper.
– bake them on 350 F for about 12 min.
For the decorative frosting beat egg white with powdered sugar until it is very firm, you can use also add different edible colors.
The Lebkuchen Spice is very important for these cookies! It is not available in the USA but you can make it yourself. You need:
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground anise seed
- 1/2 tsp ground star anise