This German Italian plum cake or called “Zwetschegendatschi” in German is a wonderful cake when the Italian plumes are ripe. In Germany these plums are called “Zwetschgen” or “Pflaumen” and they are smaller than the regular plums you find normally in the USA. You might find plumes on local Farmers Markets or get your own plume tree – Find it here –
These plums are also also Italian Plums.
“Datschi” is Bavarian and means cake. There are many recipes with plums and a famous one is “Pflaumenmus” or plume jam. Try out the Italian plum cake if you have the possibility to find the Italian plums, you will love it! Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Italian Plum Cake
500 g flour
30 g fresh yeast or 1 pk dry
250 ml luke warm milk
1 dash salt
75 g sugar
75 g butter
2 eggs, lemon zest of 1 lemon (organic)
2kg Italian plums,
1 tbsp cinnamon
50 g coarse sugar
Baking Instructions German Italian Plum Cake
– For the dough sieve flour into a bowl, make a mold in the middle, add yeast with some sugar into the mold and stir it with some of the milk. Cover it with a kitchen cloth and keep the dough for 20 min at a warm place.
– Add remaining milk, salt, sugar butter eggs and lemon zest, then beat with a wooden spoon or a mixer with kneading hooks until you have a smooth dough without any bubbles.
– The dough is good when it comes off easily from the bowls edges.
– Cover dough again and let it raise.
– Knead again, on a wooden baking board with some flour roll it so it will fit the size of your baking tray. Place it on baking tray that is layered with parchment paper.
– Wash plums, remove stem and pits and cut them with a knife twice (don’t cut them in halves). Place them on the dough in layers (should look like a German roof that is layered with roof tiles). Sprinkle cinnamon over plums – you also can make a mix of cinnamon-sugar and sprinkle it on top.
– Bake in pre-heated oven on 200 C or 390 F for 20-30 min.
– Add coarse sugar before serving the cake and serve it with whipped cream and a cup of coffee.