The German Holiday Dessert is the perfect ending for a German Christmas dinner. You need Lebkuchen, sour cherries and quark. Lebkuchen can be made – Go to the Recipe for Lebkuchen here – quark can be made – Find the Recipe How to make Quark – and sour cherries you can find at Trader Joes, Aldi or on Amazon. What is Grand Marnier?
It is an orange-flavored cognac liqueur and the original Grand Marnier liqueur created in 1880 by Alexandre Marnier-Lapostolle is called Cordon Rouge. It is consumed neat and is also used in mixed drinks and desserts. Just the right liqueur for this dessert. The sour cherries can be found at Aldi or Trader Joes. Happy Cooking
Ingredients German Holiday Dessert
200 g Lebkuchen (see recipe link above)
200 g quark or a mix of cream cheese and Greek Yoghurt (see recipe link above)
250 g heavy cream
1 package Whip it (optional) Dr. Oetker Sahnesteif ( Whip Cream Stabilizer ) -5 pack
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp Grand Marnier or Asbach Ural Brandy – Find more info about Asbach Uralt Brandy here –
1/2 jar sour cherries
125 ml cherry juice
100 g powdered sugar
grated chocolate to sprinkle on top
Cooking Instructions German Holiday Dessert
– Crumble Lebkuchen, soak in combined Grand Marnier and cherry juice.
– Mix quark with sugar and cinnamon.
– Make whipped cream (add 1 package of Sahnesteif if you like).
– Fold whipped cream with quark.
– In a decorative glass place one layer lebkuchen and one layer quark cream, also add cherries in between the layers.
– The last layer should be the quark cream.
– Sprinkle with grated chocolate.