Are you looking for a German cookie recipe that is suitable for February 14, Valentine’s Day? Here it is: German Heart Shaped Cookies for Valentines Day. Filled with raspberry jelly jam (Gelee in German, a jam that is made out of the fruit juice and does not contain any fruit particles). We recommend to get a European jelly because the most US jellies like from Smuckers contain high fructose corn syrup. you also can use jam but you need to warm it, then press through a sieve to get rid of the seeds. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Heart Shaped Cookies
(makes 30 cookies)
300 g flour
100 g powdered sugar
1 package vanilla sugar – How to Make Vanilla Sugar –
200 g butter
150 g raspberry, red currant or cranberry jelly jam (Gelee)
Baking Instructions German Heart Shaped Cookies
– Combine flour, egg, powdered sugar and vanilla sugar in a bowl.
– Add butter that is cut into bits and flakes.
– Using the hands knead it until you get a smooth dough.
– Wrap in plastic foil, keep in fridge for 30 min.
– Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
– Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface.
– Cut out cookies with 2 different cookie cutters.
– The top cookie needs to have a cut out small heart.
– Place all cookies on a tray layered with parchment paper.
– Bake for 10-12 min. Cookies should not get brown!
– While cookies are still warm spread the jam on the cookies that are the making the bottom part.
– Place on top the cut out heart cookie.
– Dust with powdered sugar.