You can make so many different dishes with Sauerkraut. It is a popular ingredient for dishes such as the German Ham Rolls with Sauerkraut Filling. The ham rolls are an awesome appetizer or finger food for a dinner party, a TV evening or just for fun.
The rolls make a great appetizer for your private Oktoberfest or can be served as part of a cold buffet. Sometimes you can find the Bavarian Sauerkraut at Big Lots and for sure at the Cost Plus Market; ALDI carries it throughout the year. Good quality German style ham can be purchased at Trader Joe’s or from Applegate.
Tip: Sauerkraut is milder if you rinse it with slightly warm purified water before you use it. Place it in a sieve and rinse with water, then let drain. The best is to use German Sauerkraut as it does not contain any preservatives. Happy Cooking!
2 small red onions
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1 can sauerkraut (580ml)
175g cream cheese
4 slices cooked ham
4 tbsp horse radish (jar)
baguette or German style bread
– Chop onions very fine.
– Wash parsley, remove stems, dry on a piece of kitchen paper, and chop fine.
– Drain Sauerkraut, and chop it into small pieces.
– Mix sauerkraut with onions, cream cheese and parsley.
– Spice with salt and pepper to taste
– Spread horse radish on one side of the cooked ham and place Sauerkraut cream on it.
– Roll each slice, with a sharp knife cut them diagonal and serve it with your choice of bread.