You can make so many different dishes with Sauerkraut. It is a popular ingredient for dishes such as the German Ham Rolls with Sauerkraut Filling. The ham rolls are an awesome appetizer or finger food for a dinner party, a TV evening or just for fun.
The rolls make a great appetizer for your private Oktoberfest or can be served as part of a cold buffet. Sometimes you can find the Bavarian Sauerkraut at Big Lots and for sure at the Cost Plus Market; ALDI carries it throughout the year. Good quality German style ham can be purchased at Trader Joe’s or from Applegate.
Tip: Sauerkraut is milder if you rinse it with slightly warm purified water before you use it. Place it in a sieve and rinse with water, then let drain. The best is to use German Sauerkraut as it does not contain any preservatives. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Ham Rolls with Sauerkraut Filling
2 small red onions
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1 can sauerkraut (580ml)
175g cream cheese
4 slices cooked ham
4 tbsp horse radish (jar)
baguette or German style bread
Cooking Instructions German Ham Rolls with Sauerkraut Filling
– Chop onions very fine.
– Wash parsley, remove stems, dry on a piece of kitchen paper, and chop fine.
– Drain Sauerkraut, and chop it into small pieces.
– Mix sauerkraut with onions, cream cheese and parsley.
– Spice with salt and pepper to taste
– Spread horse radish on one side of the cooked ham and place Sauerkraut cream on it.
– Roll each slice, with a sharp knife cut them diagonal and serve it with your choice of bread.