German Geschnetzeltes Sliced Pork or " Geschnetzeltes" in German which means small cut meat, is a very common German dish.
It can be made in different meat qualities. The meat is very lean and tender when cut from the filet. You can make it from the Schnitzel meat as well but it will contain a bit more fat.
Important is that the meat will be fried on a high temperature and very briefly because it should stay juicy, and not becoming dry. The sauce or gravy is mostly made out of creme fraiche or heavy cream. Some add a bit of starch to thicken it but adding a rich cream does the same. Enjoy this German dish with ribbon noodles, Spaetzle or rice. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Geschnetzeltes Sliced Pork
500 g pork meat (or schnitzel meat)
2 tbsp clarified butter
1 smaller onion
200 g brown or white mushrooms
salt, pepper to taste
2 tbsp chopped parsley
heavy cream or creme fraiche
Cooking Instructions German Geschnetzeltes Sliced Pork
- Wash the meat under cold water, place on kitchen paper and pat it dry.
- Wash mushrooms, cut them in quarters or slices.
- Chop onion finely.
- Heat clarified butter in a skillet.
- Add onions, saute them until transparent.
- Cut meat in thin stripes.
- Add to onions, and fry it on high heat briskly.
- Add mushrooms.
- Reduce heat to low; add the heavy cream or creme fraiche.
- Let simmer on low to medium heat for about 3 minutes until meat is tender.
Serve it with ribbon pasta, spinach pasta, rice or mashed potatoes.