This German Fruit Cake is the best when using ripe and fresh fruit. It is a very popular in Germany especially during the summer months when the fruit is ripe. The base cake can be bought in every supermarket in Germany but not in the USA. We show you how you can make the entire cake at home.
The fruit comes on top and is layered with a glaze and can be topped with whipped cream as well. Use strawberries, raspberries, blue berries, combine with peaches, mandarines, pears, kiwis or red currant berries – you can practically use any fruit for this cake. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Fruit Cake
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup sunflower oil (taste neutral oil)
1 Tbsp baking powder
2 packages Vanilla sugar, 0.6oz – How to make Vanilla-Sugar
(alternatively some real vanilla extract)
Baking Instructions German Fruit Cake
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
– Combine all ingredients and mix well. You should get a somewhat runny dough.
– Pour dough into a well greased tart/flan pan 11 inches (the best is from Zenker which is different from the US pie pans) and bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Test with a toothpick after 10 min – Stick toothpick into cake and see if some dough sticks or not. Cake is done when no dough sticks.
We received this recipe from a loyal FB fan – Thank you! Make sure to visit our FB page!
– When cooled off completely remove from pan.
– Now the cake is ready to place any fruit on top. Use fresh strawberries, raspberries, pear, blackberries, blueberries, pineapple or a mix of fruit. Cut big fruit like pear or strawberries in half or in slices.
The cake is finished with a glaze which is available from Dr. Oetker. You can get this glaze in red, clear, with sugar or without. Make the glaze per instructions on the package.
It is easy to make the glaze. See the recipe below: