The German filled roasted duck is a especially for festive menus. This is an authentic German recipe that you will love. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Filled Roasted Duck
1 duck, ready to cook, about 2kg
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp mugwort (Beifuß), chopped
250 g white bread, without crust
1 tsp lovage (Liebstöckel), chopped
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp butter
100 ml heavy cream
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
1 tbsp honey
100 ml orange juice
Cooking Instructions German Filled Roasted Duck
- Rinse the duck with cold water (inside and outside), pat dry with kitchen paper.
- On both sides rub in salt, pepper, inside add lovage and wormwort.
- For the filling cut bread in 1/2 inch thick cubes (1cm).
- Peel apples, remove core, cut in small cubes.
- Chop onion fine. Cut carrot ins small cubes.
- Heat butter, saute onions, apples, and carrot. Spice with honey and lovage.
- Combine with bread cubes, add egg and heavy cream. Spice with salt, nutmeg and pepper to taste.
- Fill duck with the bread mix. By using kitchen yarn and wooden picks close at the end.
Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
- Place in a deep pan, add about 1 inch of water.
- Add gravy ingredients around the duck: peel orange and apple, cut in 1 inch thick cubes, chop onions.
- Roast duck for about 1 hr on 375 F (160 C) in pre-heated oven (breast side). Turn duck and cook for another 2 hours. Frequently pour liquid over the duck while cooking.
- 10 min before cooking time ends, mix honey with orange juice and brush over duck. Increase to 400F, roast until you get a nice brown crust.
- Remove duck. If you don’t like grease in the gravy remove it with a slotted spoon (liquid needs to be cold, so grease can be removed). Pour stock into a pot and on low temperature let it thicken, blend with a stick mixer.
Serve with red cabbage and dumplings.
Recipe Red Cabbage Recipe Half and Half Dumplings