German Filled potatoes are a great alternative to baked potatoes which are very popular in the USA. The filled potatoes are easy to make and the most work does the oven! Happy Cooking.
6 big potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
200 g bacon (or alternatively German Speck)
1 smaller onion
1 red pepper
250 g firm tomatoes
250 g white mushrooms
2 tbsp chopped parsley
4 tbsp creme fraiche or heavy cream
some butter, salt, pepper to taste
– Potatoes need to be very clean, wash them and brush them, pat dry.
– Cut 6 matching pieces of aluminum foil and brush oil on it.
– Wrap potatoes loosely in it.
– Bake in pre-heated oven on 250 C or 450F for 35 minutes.
– Meanwhile cut bacon in small cubes and fry it on medium heat until grease had melted
– Chop onions, add them to the bacon and saute them until transparent.
– Chop red pepper; bring water to a boil, place tomatoes into hot water for 1 minutes then with a sharp knife take off the skin.
– Cut them in quarters, remove green parts, cut in cubes.
– Wash mushrooms and cut them in halves or quarters or slice them.
– Add tomatoes and mushrooms to onions and saute it for 3 minutes.
– Chop parsley fine (needs to be dry).
– Add cream to the veggie mix.
– When potatoes are done remove some from the inside of the potato to make some space for the filling. Add the filling.
– Brush some melted butter around the potato edges.
– Place them again in the oven and let bake for another 15 minutes.
Serve them hot!