German Filled potatoes are a great alternative to baked potatoes which are very popular in the USA. The filled potatoes are easy to make and the most work does the oven! Happy Cooking.
Ingredients German Filled Potatoes
6 big potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
200 g bacon (or alternatively German Speck)
1 smaller onion
1 red pepper
250 g firm tomatoes
250 g white mushrooms
2 tbsp chopped parsley
4 tbsp creme fraiche or heavy cream
some butter, salt, pepper to taste
Cooking Instructions German Filled Potatoes
– Potatoes need to be very clean, wash them and brush them, pat dry.
– Cut 6 matching pieces of aluminum foil and brush oil on it.
– Wrap potatoes loosely in it.
– Bake in pre-heated oven on 250 C or 450F for 35 minutes.
– Meanwhile cut bacon in small cubes and fry it on medium heat until grease had melted
– Chop onions, add them to the bacon and saute them until transparent.
– Chop red pepper; bring water to a boil, place tomatoes into hot water for 1 minutes then with a sharp knife take off the skin.
– Cut them in quarters, remove green parts, cut in cubes.
– Wash mushrooms and cut them in halves or quarters or slice them.
– Add tomatoes and mushrooms to onions and saute it for 3 minutes.
– Chop parsley fine (needs to be dry).
– Add cream to the veggie mix.
– When potatoes are done remove some from the inside of the potato to make some space for the filling. Add the filling.
– Brush some melted butter around the potato edges.
– Place them again in the oven and let bake for another 15 minutes.
Serve them hot!