The German farmer stew, or "Eintopf" as we call it in German, is a great German dish that can be varied with all kinds of seasonal vegetables such as zucchini, squash, broccoli or celery. You also can add white or red kidney beans with some cayenne pepper! Don't use beef and it will be a great vegetarian soup. It becomes a healthy stew when using organic ingredients. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Farmer Stew
1 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
1 smaller onion
500 g ground beef
500 g potatoes
1 smaller zucchini
half pepper of each: red, green, yellow
1 bigger or 2 smaller carrots
400 g tomatoes (can)
300 ml vegetable broth (instant)
200 g sour cream (optional)
2 tbsp tomato paste
sugar, salt, black pepper, sweet paprika (ground) to taste
Cooking Instructions German Farmer Stew
- Peel potatoes, onion and carrots and chop in small pieces.
- Cut peppers in small pieces too.
- Heat oil in a big enough pan and fry onion until transparent, add the ground beef and brown for some minutes, then add tomato paste and broth.
- Add carrots and pepper.
- Spice to taste.
- Let simmer on low heat for about 30-40 min, if you like the stew thicker let simmer without a lid for additional 10 min. The liquid will evaporate.
- Decorate with a spoonful of sour cream if you like.