The German egg salad sandwich is a healthy and easy to make bread spread recipe. As you may know the sandwiches in Germany are a bit different. The classic version is a piece of bread or half of a roll plus a spread such as egg salad on top. If the spread is just butter we call it “Butterbrot”. If we place cheese on top we call it “Käsebrot”, with ham it will be a a “Schinkenbrot”.
We normally don’t put the bread halves together. So when you order a “Schinkenbrot” (ham sandwich) in a German restaurant you get it served on one slice. Enjoy this bread spread. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Egg Salad Sandwich
4 tbsp mayonnaise
mustard (preferably German) to taste
4 tbsp chives
1 tbsp sunflower oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 dash of nutmeg
4 slices German rye bread or 2 rolls cut in halves (or your favorite bread)
Cooking Instructions German Egg Salad Sandwich
- Boil eggs, rinse them briefly under cold water, peel them.
- Chop eggs fine, if you like you can mash them with a fork.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spread butter on bread or rolls and place the egg salad on top.
- Vary it with pickles, cucumber or cooked ham.