Ingredients German Easter Rabbit Pastry
500 g quark – How to make Quark –
150 g sugar
zest of 1 lemon or orange (organic)
3 packages vanilla sugar – 0.9oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
3 small eggs or 2 large
12 tbsp oil (safflower or canola)
9 tbsp milk
600 g flour
1.5 packages baking powder – 0.7oz
Baking Instructions German Easter Rabbit Pastry
- If quark contains liquid place quark in a kitchen cloth and press until quark contains no more liquid. Or place quark in kitchen cloth, place in a sieve, let drain over night. When all liquid is gone you have about 300g quark.
- Combine quark with eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla sugar and zest, mix until you get a smooth cream.
- Mix flour with baking powder, combine with quark cream. You should get a dough that is similiar to a yeast dough.
- Let dough sit for 30 min. Knead again briefly (manually).
- Pre-heat oven to 390 F.
- Roll the dough (2 cm, 3/4 inches thick) and cut out with a rabbit cookie cutter.
- Melt some butter and spread over the rabbits.
- Bake for 10-15 min, let cool off a bit.
- Place on kitchen paper, brush with melted butter and turn in sugar right away.