The German creamy chocolate cake is actually more than a German cake. It is a “Torte” which means it has more than one layer. This creamy chocolate cake is filled with an irresistible chocolate cream.
In Germany we use a special corn starch for baking named Mondamin. It is pure potato starch that is gluten free. So it helps to make such cakes like this one. You an use regular potato starch as well if you cannot get Mondamin. This chocolate cake has nothing to do with the American German Chocolate Cake. In fact the American version has nothing to do with Germany. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Creamy Chocolate Cake
4 tbsp water
200 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar Dr Oetker, 0.3oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
100 g flour
100 g Mondamin or potato starch
2 tsp baking powder Dr Oetker
dash of salt
The best Made in Germany Baking Mix is here! Makes Baking easier!
200 g butter
200 g sugar
30 g Mondamin or potato starch
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp coffee powder (instant)
1/4 liter milk
Baking Instructions German Creamy Chocolate Cake
– Whisk 4 egg white with water until firm and add slowly sugar and vanilla sugar.
– Carefully mix in the egg yolks, flour, Mondamin (starch) and salt.
– Grease a spring form with butter (26cm) and fill in the dough.
– Bake it for 30-35 minutes on 175 degrees C (350 F).
– When done take it out of form and let it cool off.
– With a sharp knife cut the cake in half horizontally.
For the Filling:
– Mix Mondamin or starch and cocoa powder, boil it with the milk until it thickens, then let it cool off.
– Whisk Butter, sugar and instant coffee until foamy.
– Mix in the cocoa cream spoon by spoon.
– With a wide serrated cake knife or a wide spoon spread the cream on the base cake.
– Place the other layer on top, then spread the cream all around the cake on the sides and the top; wrap the whole cake with cream).
– with a spoon create some ornament in the top chocolate layer.