The German Cream of Cauliflower soup or “Blumenkohlsuppe” as we call it in German is an easy to make soup. Cauliflower is such a healthy vegetable for many dishes not only in Germany. The base of the cauliflower soup is a chicken broth but you could also use a vegetable broth (the best home made). We have recipes for both broths (see below). This is a great soup as a starter or for a cold winter’s day. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Cream of Cauliflower Soup
1 medium-large cauliflower or 2 bags shredded cauliflower
2 cups chicken broth, instant or home made – Go to the Recipe for Chicken Broth –
– Go to the Recipe for Vegetable Broth –
2 cups cold water
4 tbsp butter
1/3 cup flour
1 cup milk
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
1 egg yolk
1/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
3-4 tbsp heavy cream (or to taste)
chives, chopped or parsley
Cooking Instructions German Cream of Cauliflower Soup
– Prepare cauliflower, cut of stem, hard parts and green leaves. Wash it under cold water.
– Chop the cauliflower coarsely.
– Make the broth by using a large pot (instant broth per instructions).
– Drop in the clauliflower, bring to a boil, reduce heat a bit, let cook uncovered for about 10 minutes or so depending what you use, shredded cauliflower is done sooner. The cauliflower should be tender but not mushy.
– Drain broth and reserve it.
– In another pot melt the butter over moderate heat.
– Stir in the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes, don’t let it become brown.
– Pour in the stock and the milk, whisking constantly.
– Bring it to a boil constantly stirring until the mixture gets smooth and thickens somewhat.
– Reduce heat and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
– Add the cooked cauliflower, spice with salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
– Let simmer uncovered for 5 minutes, until cauliflower is very soft so you can mash it.
– Puree soup with a stick mixer.
– Add the cream and lemon juice, let cook on low heat for some minutes but don’t bring to aboil
– Add the chopped chives or parsley.