The German Cinnamon Star cookies are wonderful German Christmas cookies. The Cinnamon Stars are traditional Christmas cookies and the recipe is easy to make. You can buy them in almost every German bakery before Christmas. Unfortunately not in the USA but you always can make them at home. Get a a star shaped cookie cutter and the baking can begin. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Cinnamon Star Cookies
4 egg whites
250 g powdered sugar
300 g almond flour
1 tsp cinnamon
peel of 1/2 lemon, organic
rum flavor to taste
optional: rectangle shaped baking wafers (see product below)
Baking Instructions German Cinnamon Star Cookies
– Beat egg white very firm and add slowly powdered sugar; put 1/4 aside for the glaze.
– Mix ground almond, cinnamon and lemon peel with the egg white; you should get a dough that you can roll out.
– Dust some powdered sugar on a baking board, roll the dough and with a star cookie cutter cut out stars. Place the stars on a rectangle wafer and cut around the edges with a sharp knife.
– Put the stars on a baking tray laid out with parchment paper or a buttered surface.
– Preheat oven to 140-160 degrees C (320 F)
– Take remaining egg white and add some rum flavor (or if you like real brown rum) until you get a glaze which you spread on top of the stars but not too thick, just a thin layer.
– Bake the stars for 30-40 minutes.