German Christmas Cookies Angel’s Eyes are a classic among the German Christmas Cookies. In general German Christmas cookies are not so big, they are rather small, and far smaller than the US cookies. Angel’s eyes are about 2 inches in diameter after baking. Try this one out and you will love it. No special ingredients needed. Happy Baking!
(for about 40 cookies)
70 g powdered sugar
150 g cold butter
240 g flour
2 egg yolk
1 package 0.3oz vanilla sugar – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
6 tbsp milk
jam or jelly: red currant, apricot, quince, strawberry or raspberry
– Sieve powdered sugar into a bowl; chop butter into pieces.
– Add flour (sieve it through a sieve), egg yolk and vanilla sugar and knead it with the dough hooks of the mixer.
– Then with the hands knead until you get a smooth dough by using a wooden baking board (dust frequently flour on the surface when kneading).
– Wrap dough in foil, keep for about 30 minutes in fridge.
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
– Form balls of walnut size out of the dough, place them on a baking tray which is layered with baking paper.
– With the end of a cooking spoon form one whole in the middle of each cookie.
– Bake them for about 10 minutes, then have the egg yolk-milk mix ready.
– Mix 1 egg yolk with milk and brush the cookies with it (2 minutes before they are done); then place them back into the oven and bake until done.
– On low heat warm the jam or jelly in separate pans and stir them smoothly with a small whisk. If the jam contains too many fruit particles use a sieve and strain it as you don’t want the fruit particles in it.
– With a small teaspoon fill the red and yellow jelly into the holes. Let the jam get firm, then keep them at a cool place.
– You can sprinkle them with some powdered sugar before they are served BUT not earlier.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.