This German Chocolate Cream Cake is an original and authentic German chocolate cake how it is made in Germany. All other versions, I am afraid to say, are not German. It is not including pecans or honey.
The German name is: Schoko-Sahne-Torte. It is a “Torte” because it is contains multiple layers and is therefor higher bigger than a regular cake. This is a very rich cake, a lot richer than a normal cake because the filling is a butter cream. It is the right German cake for festive occasions, the holidays or birthdays. This German recipe is not that complicated as it may seem but I recommend that you have some baking experience. Tip: Bake the base cake the day before you need the cake, and add the chocolate cream the next day. Enjoy this wonderful German cake recipe! Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Chocolate Cream Cake
80 g butter
1 dash salt
130 g sugar
1 package vanilla sugar, 0.3oz – How to make Vanilla Sugar –
200 g almonds flour and 200 g dark semi sweet chocolate, finely ground
1 tbsp baking powder Dr Oetker
2 tbsp brandy (if you can use Asbach Uralt, the German classic brandy)
1 jar (450 g) red currant jelly
1/2 l heavy cream
3 tbsp instant coffee
1 Orange (organic)
25 g dark chocolate, semi sweet
Get all needed Baking Ingredients in this Box
Baking Instructions German Chocolate Cream Cake
1. Make the Base Cake
– Melt butter; separate eggs.
– Combine, egg yolks, 100 g sugar, vanilla sugar and salt in a bowl and mix well by using a hand mixer. Mix in the melted butter (should be liquid but not hot).
2. Add almond flour, 100 g grated chocolate and baking powder to the egg dough, and mix carefully.
– Add brandy.
– Beat egg white until firm, then fold into the dough.
– Preheat oven to 350 F (175 degrees C).
3. Use a spring form (diameter 26 cm or 10 inches) and layer it with parchment paper.
– Fill in the dough, spread evenly with a spatula.
– Bake for 25-35 minutes on the second level.
– When done just open the form clip, and let cool off in the form.
4. Remove the cake from the form carefully.
– Cut it horizontally one time to get 2 pieces.
– Spread on the lower piece that makes the bottom the jelly. Put the pieces together.
– Place a cake or pastry ring around the cake.
5. Make the Filling
– Beat the cream with remaining sugar until firm.
– Sieve the instant coffee (so it is really a fine powder) or press through a sieve, add to the filling.
– Add the remaining chocolate mix to the filling.
6. Spread 3/4 of the chocolate cream onto the cake and with a spoon spread it all over in a wavy patter.
7. Remove cake ring and spread the remaining cream around the cake. Keep the cake for at least one hour in the fridge.
8. Wash the orange with hot water and peel it (very thin).
9. Cut the orange stripes in super fine stripes (will be used as decoration, so it can be optional).
10. Grate the chocolate and together with the orange peel stripes decorate the cake.