You will love this German Cherry Streusel Cake (Streusel are crumbles). It needs some special ingredients but it is worth it to try. Trader Joe's or Aldi has the sour cherries, and we have seen them also in some other supermarkets. Make sure not to use cherries with added sugar. The pudding powder can be purchased at Cost Plus, or online. Alternatively use corn starch and vanilla extract. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Cherry Streusel Cake
400 g wheat all purpose flour
230 g butter, room temperature
150 g sugar
1 pack. vanilla sugar 0.3oz - How to make Vanilla Sugar -
1 dash salt
1 jar (morillo) sour cherries, 24oz
1 pack. Vanilla pudding Dr Oetker - How to make Vanilla pudding -
(alternatively 1.5 oz cornstarch and vanilla sugar plus some vanilla extract)
2 tbsp sugar
1 pack. vanilla sugar - 0.3oz
1/2 tsp bitter almond flavor
3 tbsp cherry jam
1 tsp lemon juice
4 tbsp almonds, sliced or chopped
Baking Instructions German Cherry Streusel Cake
- Combine flour, sugar, vanilla sugar and salt. Add butter in small pieces.
- Knead fast with kneading hooks and make Streusel (crumbles).
- Place in fridge.
- Drain cherries, keep the liquid.
- With some part of the juice mix pudding powder and sugar. Make the pudding per instructions. You don't use milk, only the cherry juice. Even you will not have the requested amount of liquid, it is ok. The pudding will be firmer. If you don't want to use the vanilla pudding powder use corn starch as mentioned in the ingredients list.
- Add cherries, jam, bitter almond flavor, lemon juice and vanilla sugar to the pudding.
- Grease a 24cm spring form (9 inches)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Place 2/3 of the Streusel into the spring form and press on the bottom and make an edge along the form.
- Spread cherry filling on the bottom, place remaining Streusel on top.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake for 45-50 min until Streusel are golden brown.