The German Cauliflower Potato Casserole or Gratin is a meatless dish and very easy to make. If you like meat you can add fine chopped bacon or ham to the sauce, just fry it with the onions. Or add a layer of ground beef right on top of the potatoes. Brown the meat first with some onions and salt and pepper. Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Cauliflower Potato Casserole
1 medium size cauliflower
5-6 small-medium size potatoes
1,5 cups grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp breadcrumbs
100ml half and half or milk (you can add some heavy cream as well)
salt & pepper to taste
1 dash nutmeg
1-2 tbsp chopped parsley
Cooking Instructions German Cauliflower Potato Casserole
– Wash cauliflower, tear apart, cook in salted water until al dente (not too soft, it needs to have some bite).
– Drain, set aside.
– Peel potatoes, cut in slices, boil in salted water until al dente. Drain, set aside.
– Chop onion and parsley fine.
– In a pan melt butter, add onions, saute until transparent.
– Sieve flour into pan, mix well. Saute for 1 min.
– Pre-heat oven to 375 F.
– Pour in half and half, whisk well. Bring to a boil. You should get a thickened sauce. If it is too thick add some milk or water. If it has not thickened you added not enough flour. Mix some flour in water, add to the sauce.
– Place cauliflower into sauce, let simmer for 5 min. Add half of the cheese, mix carefully.
– Use a fireproof form (length 10 inches) and add boiled potato slices.
– On top place cauliflower with sauce.
– Roast the bread crumbs with 2-3 tsp butter until golden brownish.
– Place remaining cheese and roasted bread crumbs on top.
– Bake in oven for 15-20 min until you see the cheese has melted and the sauce is boiling.
– Remove from oven. Let sit for 5 min.
– Sprinkle with chopped parsley.