Wonderful German cabbage soup that tastes the best when served in fall or winter. Cabbage is a popular fall/winter vegetable in Germany and can be used for many German recipes such as the German cabbage soup with heavy cream. Cabbage contains a lot of Vitamin C and can be preserved easily or make your own Sauerkraut - How to make Sauerkraut - Happy Cooking!
Ingredients German Cabbage Soup
1kg white cabbage
60 g butter
80 g bacon cubes (German Speck cubes)
1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp caraway seeds
200 ml dry white wine
1 liter vegetable broth (instant or home made) - How to make Vegetable Broth -
200 ml heavy cream
2-3 potatoes, medium size
salt, pepper to taste
4 slices farmers bread or baguette bread
5 tbsp chopped chives
Cooking Instructions German Cabbage Soup
- Cut cabbage in quarters, remove hard parts and cut it in 1 inch wide stripes.
- Heat butter, add speck, sugar and caraway seeds with cabbage and saute it until transparent.
- Fill up with wine, broth and heavy cream, spice with salt and pepper.
- Peel potatoes and grate them, mix into soup, cover with a lid and let it simmer for 25 minutes.
- Cut bread into small cubes and fry it in a skillet in 1 tsp of butter until golden colored.
- Cut chives in small pieces and when soup is done sprinkle over soup on top of croutons.