This is a delicious German cabbage soup for all seasons. Soem say it’s a soup for fall and winter but honestly, I think it doesn’t matter. Nevertheless cabbage is a popular fall/winter vegetable in Germany and can be used for many German recipes such as the German cabbage soup with heavy cream. Cabbage contains a lot of Vitamin C and can be preserved easily or make your own Sauerkraut – How to make Sauerkraut – Happy Cooking!
1kg white cabbage
60 g butter
80 g bacon cubes (German Speck cubes)
1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp caraway seeds
200 ml dry white wine
1 liter vegetable broth (instant or home made) – How to make Vegetable Broth –
200 ml heavy cream
2-3 potatoes, medium size
salt, pepper to taste
4 slices farmers bread or baguette bread
5 tbsp chopped chives
– Cut cabbage in quarters, remove hard parts and cut it in 1 inch wide stripes.
– Heat butter, add speck, sugar and caraway seeds with cabbage and saute it until transparent.
– Fill up with wine, broth and heavy cream, spice with salt and pepper.
– Peel potatoes and grate them, mix into soup, cover with a lid and let it simmer for 25 minutes.
– Cut bread into small cubes and fry it in a skillet in 1 tsp of butter until golden colored.
– Cut chives in small pieces and when soup is done sprinkle over soup on top of croutons.