The German Butter Cake is a perfect cake for a baking beginner. In Germany we love simple cakes because they can be made fast. This original German cake recipe is popular throughout Germany. You can vary the recipe by adding sour cherries, apricots or peaches. Just place them into the dough or on the bottom of the baking tray. Happy Baking!
Ingredients German Butter Cake
some butter for the baking tray
250 g heavy cream - 1 cup
200 g butter - 2 sticks
1 Package baking powder (.5oz)
1 package Dr Oetker Vanilla sugar (.32oz) - How to Make Vanilla Sugar -
4 tbsp milk
250 g sliced almonds - 8.8oz
1 dash salt
400 g flour - 3 1/3 cups
300 g sugar - 1 1/2 cups (if you like the cake sweeter use 500g or 2 1/2 cups; the original recipe is using this amount, we find it a bit too sweet)
Baking Instructions German Butter Cake
- preheat oven to 350 F.
- grease a deeper baking tray, dust with flour. You also can use a high side sheet cake pan (see below) and layer it with parchment paper.
- mix heavy cream with half of the sugar and salt, mix very well by using a hand mixer.
- add eggs, sieved flour, 75 g soft butter, 1 vanilla sugar and baking powder, mix well.
- spread the dough on the baking tray and bake for about 12-15 min.
- melt remaining butter, add remaining sugar, milk and almonds, mix well.
- spread this mix on the cake and bake for another 20-30 min until the almonds show a golden color.