Today we have a delicious side dish for you: German Bread Dumplings with a Chanterelle Sauce. These dumplings and the sauce go very well with a steak, a pot roast or schnitzel. Ideal for a festive menu!
Chanterelle mushrooms are very special mushrooms. We call them “Pfifferlinge” in German. Their smell is kind of fruity, similar to that of apricots, combined with a mildly peppery taste. This mushroom is a culinary ingredient and comes from the the French cuisine, but it is popular now throughout many countries.
Chanterelle mushrooms are used a lot for creamy sauces. They are not cheap, and we recommend to use fresh ones when you can find them at your farmers market or super market. Alternatively use dried or canned chanterelles. Happy Cooking!
6 oz chanterelles, fresh or a mix of fresh chanterelles and white mushrooms (6-7 mushrooms)- alternatively use dried chanterelles (see at the bottom where to buy them)
1 onion, small sized
1 tsp butter
1 tbsp flour
250 ml vegetable broth, cold – Make vegetable broth from scratch –
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp parsley, chopped
1 egg yolk
salt, pepper, nutmeg to taste
For the Dumplings
6-7 German style rolls (350 g), 1-2 days old (without a hard crust)
1 tsp butter
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
300 ml milk, warm
Make Bread Dumplings
– Warm milk.
– Cut rolls in small pieces, chop parsley.
– Peel and chop onion fine. Saute one half in butter with parsley for 1-2 min.
– Pour warm milk over rolls, let sit covered for 10 min.
– Mix eggs with salt and pepper, beat them. Add to the bread.
– Meanwhile heat a good amount of water with some salt for cooking the dumplings. Bring to a boil.
– Knead dumpling dough well but not too hard, other wise the dough gets mushy. Add some bread crumbs (1/2 cup or less).
– With moist hands form dumplings (tennis ball size).
– Place dumplings in boiling water and let cook for 15-20 min. Reduce heat a bit. Dumplings will float at surface when done.
Make the Chanterelle Sauce
– Clean both mushrooms very well.
– If you use dried chanterelles you must soak them in water – prepare them per instructions on package.
– Saute them for 2 min in butter, set aside on a plate.
– Saute remaining onions in butter in the same pan. Dust with flour.
– Add the cold broth, bring to a boil, it should be thickened. If not mix more flour or some starch in cold water and add to broth.
– Combine with half of the cream, mushrooms, parsley and spices. Let simmer for 5 min.
– Before serving mix remaining cream with egg yolk, add to the sauce. Don’t bring it to a boil again! Just heat it slightly. Spice if necessary.